Key Points To Understand About Gold Loan Interest Rates
The interest rate of a gold loan depends on the quantity of your pledged gold. Read to know 4 factors affecting the gold loan interest rates at IIFL Finance.
Gold is considered a haven, not just in India but globally. Indians are emotionally attached to gold and preserve it for their child’s wedding or financial emergency. During such circumstances, people can leverage their gold ornaments to get a gold loan that holds the potential to fulfill their cash requirements almost immediately. However, repaying the loan includes an interest amount which varies based on diverse factors.
This article elaborates on the fundamental points that affect gold loan interest rates.
Factors Affecting Gold Loan Interest RateA gold loan means pledging your gold items to borrow money equivalent to a part of its value. Your gold acts as collateral in a gold loan. While it is easy to avail of a gold loan, you should note the following factors affecting a gold loan interest rate:
1. Loan AmountThe interest rate of a gold loan depends on the quantity and carat of your pledged gold. Since this is a secured loan, the lender penalises a percentage of the current market value (also called LTV) of the mortgaged gold. The Reserve Bank of India has set the maximum LTV for gold loans to 90%.
For example, if you submit gold ornaments worth INR 100,000, you can get a loan of up to INR 90,000 against them.
2. Monthly IncomeBasic credit verification is the first step in checking the eligibility criteria. Lenders require the details of your ongoing loans and repayment history to assess your eligibility before approving a loan. This factor will determine the interest rate on your gold loan.
Get Gold Loan at the comfort of your homeApply Now
3. Gold PurityAnother influential factor in determining gold loan interest rate is the pledged gold purity. Usually, Indian lenders accept gold items from 18k to 24k. However, the higher the carat weight of the gold product, the lower the interest rate.
For example, a lender offers a lower gold loan rate on an item of 22-carat gold than they do on an item of 18-carat.Lenders also use an industrial grade carat gauge during gold grading. It helps ensure deposited gold's accuracy and authenticity and competitive interest rates.
4. InflationAs the currency depreciates during inflation, individuals tend to invest in gold as it acts as a hedge against inflation. As a result, gold prices are high, and individuals can enjoy lower interest rates.
5. The Market Price Of GoldGold prices are market-linked, which affects interest rates on gold loans. For example, when the gold price rises, lenders can offer better interest rates on gold and vice versa because credit risk is lower.
The lender also offers attractive gold loan interest rates to existing customers. However, borrowers should also compare different lenders to get the best interest rates. You can also use the gold loan calculator to calculate your interest outflow.
Apply For A Gold Loan With IIFL FinanceIIFL Finance is a leading gold loan provider. We provide quick loans with small financial requirements with minimum eligibility criteria. You can check the gold loan rates at your nearest IIFL Finance branch or online. The entire process, from application to disbursement, is 100% online. The disbursals take 24-48 hours. This way, you can fulfill your needs and repay them per cycle. Apply for an IIFL Finance gold loan today!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1: What are the things to keep in mind while availing of a gold loan?
Ans: A few things to keep in mind while taking a gold loan are:
• Interest rate comparison
• Read the fine print of the terms and conditions
• Consider the total cost of the loan instead of just the interest rate.
Q.2: Is the gold pledged with NBFCs safe?
Ans: NBFCs understand the sentimental value of the lender’s gold and take utmost caution while storing your gold. Some lenders provide insurance for the same.
Get Gold Loan at the comfort of your homeApply Now
Disclaimer: The information contained in this post is for general information purposes only. IIFL Finance Limited (including its associates and affiliates) ("the Company") assumes no liability or responsibility for any errors or omissions in the contents of this post and under no circumstances shall the Company be liable for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment etc. suffered by any reader. All information in this post is provided "as is", with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness or of the results etc. obtained from the use of this information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to warranties of performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. Given the changing nature of laws, rules and regulations, there may be delays, omissions or inaccuracies in the information contained in this post. The information on this post is provided with the understanding that the Company is not herein engaged in rendering legal, accounting, tax, or other professional advice and services. As such, it should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional accounting, tax, legal or other competent advisers. This post may contain views and opinions which are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency or organization. This post may also contain links to external websites that are not provided or maintained by or in any way affiliated with the Company and the Company does not guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of any information on these external websites. Any/ all (Gold/ Personal/ Business) loan product specifications and information that maybe stated in this post are subject to change from time to time, readers are advised to reach out to the Company for current specifications of the said (Gold/ Personal/ Business) loan.